Friday, July 8, 2016

PPPB Part 11: Back in Black

Part 11: Back in Black

Well, it's certainly been a while. Took a break from this game but now I am back. In fact, I hadn't played this ever since part 10 so I'll have to try to re-acclimate myself to this whole process. I did do a bit of training, but not too much. I want to save some of the trainers in another route for later, and the normal enemies are rather weak. Plus Sandstorms. Man, the rampant geological whiplash this place has where you can go through a desert with a sandstorm to a lively green amusement part within the span of 30 seconds.

The bumper cars are the main means of transportation through the gym, it seems.


Oh hi Fred Durst.



Okay, real talk I had to redo this fight 2 extra times just to screen cap this. At least he only has one pokemon.

One of the roller coaster had a surprise trainer inside. So there's that I guess.

Oddly enough, the ROLL ROLL guy and this surprise trainer have only Blitzile (1 and 2 respectively). The first trainer I fought had 2 of another type of pokemon as well that I forget the name of. So, 3 fights in, and I see *2* different pokemon. Come on, game, give me a bit of variety. 

And afterwards a second surprise trainer pops out of a roller coaster.


Thanks for telling me I'm almost done, though. And she fights me with... an Emolga. Which is the other pokemon I saw here. So, 4 trainers, and I fought 3 Blitzle and 3 Emolga. Well... there goes your thunder types.

Unfortunately this trainer beat me with her single Pokemon (spamming Double team to the point where I couldn't hit it). And once more, I paid money, then fainted, and then ran to the Pokecenter. Quickly getting back, I am a bit annoyed at the fact that you have to wait for the rollercoasters to come. Not super annoyed, but you are still spending some time simply waiting

I make it to the Gym Leader and her first Pokemon is... Emolga! In fact, she has 2 of them that she switches in and out! Her third Pokemon is a Zebstrika, the evolved version of Blitzle. (The final count is 5 trainers, 5 Emolga, 3 Blitzle, and 1 Zebstrika)

But I need to grind as I can't really beat her.

Oh, and during my training I fight a baker who has... Pansear, Pansage, and Panpour. I CAN'T ESCAPE.

I can honestly say this gym leader is the hardest so far because she keeps trouncing me. Her Pokemon hits hard, and I have no pokemon that are extra effective against her own. Plus they crit. A lot.

It took me a while but I finally beat her. And with that I finally become...


A POWER RANGER.

Or at least I just get a badge. You know what? I'd be more interested in the Pokemon soundtrack if Ron Wasserman scored it. It would be AWESOME! You know it would be! POKEPOWER RANGERS. NOOOOOO ONNNEE CAN EVER CATCH THEM ALL! MY POWER IS TO BE THE BEEeeeEEeeeEEEeeEEEeeeEEEEEEST!

POKE POWER RANGERS!

*ahem*

The Gym leader tells me she's going to head off to Route 5 so I can get through it. However I decide to take care of a couple loose ends before heading there. This involved getting an Archen, which I read is pretty strong, and is only balanced by it's special ability.



Yes, we have a self-nerfing Pokemon that is such a wuss that it loses its nerve at half health. Awesome.

I am eventually stopped by Cheren, I beat him, and then the gym leader comes and leads up forward, but were stopped by someone.

This is a bit of a festival going on and Cheren wants to know why a champ is "goofing off" around here, which  Adler takes some offense to. I mean, hey, come one, he looks like he's enjoying himself. Just because he might not have a friend he is constantly trying to beat like certain other people doesn't mean he is goofing off. And, besides, look at that hair. Do you want to mess with someone with that hair? Last time I saw someone with that hair he wanted to devour-our-our the souls of other fighters.

Shoehorned reference aside, Adler states he is on a "voyage". Speaking with Cheren, he asks what he wants to do, to which Che says to be the champ. Adler asks what he would do afterwards, and Che says, more or less, what else is there to do but get stronger? Alder's initial response can be summed up as nicely saying "Really, that's all?". He speaks about helping children and helping people to enjoy Pokemon before... making him and I fight two random preschoolers in a Pokemon battle.

The fight itself was to prove a point that some people want power, but others just enjoy being with Pokemon. With that done, the Gym leader continues to lead us forward.

The drawbridge leading from there to the next town is lowered, and I cross it, picking up some feathers from birds and eventually finding out it's nicknamed the Charizard Bridge.

Driftveil City


The next Gym leader, Clay, is pretty much a cowboy type from initial impressions. He also states that some of the Team Plasma guys that were captured had escaped. In fact, he states there is some correlation between Plasma's escape and our arrival, and says that we better look for them as well.


Cripes Plasma can't you stop ruining things? He even states we can't fight him unless we take care of this Team Plasma business.

They head off, and I explore the town. And, hey, there's a TV that tells you how to say come Japanese phrases. That's kinda neat. Weird given the world of Pokemon, but neat. There's also another place that teaches a move to your starter pokemon, and says that the attack becomes very powerful when used with a certain other attack. In my case, Fire Pledge will be stronger when used with Grass Pledge.


Yes, she is referring to the ability Dry Skin but this sounds like something a bottle of lotion should be taking care of.




As I said before, Pokemon you make it so easy sometimes with your unfortunate implications. This guy says this if you decline his trade. But, sure, if I change my mind and stop loving that pokemon he wanted I can always trade with him in the future. Granted, someone else in a nearby house says that some Pokemon evolve when traded so... it's probably a mutual thing.






This guy right here introduces me to "Rotation Battles" Which are basically like normal battles, but instead of one Pokemon, you have three. No, this is not a triple battle, you only use one pokemon at a time. you simply can choose from one of 3 pokemon to attack within a turn instead of just the one. An interesting mechanic change,  I must say.

Also the guy always refers to himself as that. No, not "Charles", but "I'm a Heartbreaker... My name... Charles."


Anyway, I shall end it here. I will save the other part of this town, called "Cold Storage", for another time. See you next time...


#pokepowerrangers.


No comments:

Post a Comment